SQL Database and Query tuning
9 years of experience in database design, query tuning, index tuning, stored procedure development, troubleshooting locking and blocking issues
- SQL • Powershell • Markdown • JSON • YAML • Liquid
- C# • Batch • bash • DOT
- HTML • CSS • LaTeX
Tools & Technologies
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) • SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) • git • SVN • Excel • Visual Studio • VS Code • Red Gate SQL Prompt • Red Gate SQL Compare • Sisense BI Reporting • Elasticsearch • RabbitMQ • Docker • DBATools • Upsource • Jira • Confluence • Jitbit
AutoAlert is a data mining company dedicated to identifying leads in automotive dealerships own data with the goal of helping them sell more cars.
Database Developer• Oct, 2015 — Present • 5 yrs 9 mos
As a database developer, I improved their products by working with application developers to engineer the back-end services that supported the features they were building. I developed ETL processes for importing, cleansing and normalizing the dealerships data so that it could be fed into our proprietary calculation engine, which I helped maintain, optimize and enhance.
- Built complex SQL code to add a wide range of new features to a SaaS application
- Collaborated with 3rd party data providers to build integrations via SQL & C# for tasks such as email/address sanitization, data appends and ETL processes
- Helped maintain and improve an elaborate calculation engine to support new features and settings
- Constantly worked to improve existing SQL code to run faster through query and index tuning by analyzing execution plans, server statistics, dynamic management views (DMVs), etc
- Worked on many ETL projects utilizing C#, PowerShell, batch and SQL
- Contributed to complex back-end applications written in C# utilizing technologies such as Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Redis, Amazon SNS, Amazon SES, Amazon S3, Docker and various scraping services (utilizing Selenium)
- Experience with using collaboration and CI/CD tools including Jenkins, Slack and Upsource
Senior IT Support Analyst• Jun, 2012 — Oct, 2015 • 3 yrs 4 mos
As an IT Support Analyst I was responsible for quickly triaging and troubleshooting issues in client data. Worked directly with clients over the phone to assist fixing data delivery issues. Built systems and tools to automate detection of bad data quality and reduce the work needed to fix.
- Worked heavily with SSRS to write custom reports for all business needs ranging from simple tablix reports to complicated reports with benchmarks, charts, and complex expressions
- Established a reporting data warehouse to ensure consistent metrics across all reports
IT Intern / Network Technician• Oct, 2008 — Jun, 2012 • 3 yrs 8 mos
Supported a large multi-location network which hosted on-prem services for hundreds of civil engineers. Assited in the installation and configuration of SAN, virtualization, network and power equipment.
- Eliminated the need for hiring Cisco consultants by learning to support the Cisco devices through personal research, and formal courses offered at the local college
- In charge of installing, configuring and managing network monitoring software for hundreds of network devices using Nagios
- Established a reliable system for imaging and deploying desktops for new users
IT Consultant• Mar, 2009 — May, 2011 • 2 yrs 2 mos
Provided a broad range of IT services. Helpdesk support, computer repair, VoIP management & configuration, as well as website and intranet maintenance.
Employee• Sep, 2002 — Oct, 2008 • 6 yrs 1 mos
A family owned business from 1963 to 2020. Worked in the kitchen and the bar, as a cashier and a cook. Helped with business paperwork, quickbooks, building spreadsheets, and in recent years during the COVID pandemic, helped to run social media to keep business going strong with a delivery only business.
MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development
Microsoft • Certified 2021
Riverside Community College
Cisco Networking certification program • 2009 — 2013
Focused on computer science and Cisco networking. Completed the 4 course Cisco Networking certification program, and received a certificate of completion.
Writer • Dec, 2020 — Present
In Dec of 2020, I decided to start a blog, so that I could share with others the things I learned recently, or things I feel others would benefit from. I've always enjoyed writing, and putting together a public blog seemed like a fun idea.
Developer • 2015 — Present
Years ago, I started writing a SQL stored procedure that focused on searching the contents of system objects in order to help my understanding of the SQL Server system tables. Eventually, it turned into a tool that I use, at minimum, on a daily basis. The project is hosted on GitHub and is licensed for anyone to use or contribute!